Pages

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The [unit of time] in Links (The I've Just Moved House Edition)

The last few weeks have seen me keeping a links roundup only sporadically both because I have been moving to Philadelphia where I'll be on a fellowship this academic year and because, since I've started using Twitter to share links, I don't feel as compelled by this format anymore. It may or may not continue to be a regular feature. I'm thinking about adapting it so I only share links that I want to comment upon substantially. But for now, here's a regular old collection of links on the Middle Ages and academia:

I've been thinking a lot about the adjunct question lately, and the conclusions I'm drawing are well outside the mainstream. It's such a contentious and awful problem that I've decided that it's just best for me to keep my mouth shut on this particular issue. But here is an article on the consequences of increased hiring of adjuncts:

The Closing of American Academia

I really, really shouldn't be thinking about teaching since I shan't be doing any for the next year. But I've completed my graduate course syllabus for fall '13, am reading a few books that I wanted to read this year in conjunction with my intro undergrad course but didn't get to, and am thinking of ways I could incorporate these two things into a future course:

Teaching Students to Lie: Historical Method Through Hoaxes

My Syllabus is a Quarto!

And a nice blog post on medieval students and their note-taking practices:

New Evidence of Note-Taking in the Medieval Classroom

The translator's note appended to this newly-rediscovered story by Isaac Bahsevis Singer is almost medieval in the ways in which the translator writes essayistically about how his own education informed his work and about the textual problems that the work posed:

Job (Translator's Note)

And likewise medieval (or not, depending on the theories) is this very broad construction of translation:

Anne Carson 'Translates' Antigone

Some resources for the study of Hebrew manuscripts have recently been made available online:

National Library of Israel's Catalogue Available Online

Hebrew Codicology by Malachi Bet-Arie

Just a week or so after reviewing a book that considered wether Einstein's genius might be related to the fact that he was Jewish by using a very nebulous definition of genetics, heredity and intellectual legacy (and succeeding to not be totally offensive or racist, according to the review, though I've not read the book and shall remain skeptical until I do), the New York Times published a memoir-style piece in which a reporter considers whether memory can be sort of genetic. Has something gotten into the water over there? Strange, but still worth a read, especially for folks teaching on Spain and Jews:

In Andalusia, on the Trail of Inherited Memories

No comments:

Post a Comment